Saturday, August 1, 2009

Was That Really Worth It?

The latest I have ever arrived for a game was last night. The sixth inning.

It was pouring after work, so why go to Citi Field and spend cash when you can eat dinner at home. So that's what me and my wife (who was supposed to go with me) did. Thinking there could be a long delay with a start time of 8:30 or worse, 9:00, I told her to stay home despite her cravings for Box Frites. I called a buddy of mine a little after 7:30. See you there in about 45 minutes? Easy enough. He's coming from Astoria, the place where we hear about that steakhouse on the radio all the time, just a short drive over the left field fence.

I'm out the door with the radio and I hear Steve Somers saying they are throwing it back to Howie and Wayne at 7:55. Damn, that grounds crew means business. When I got a radio signal on the 7 train when I transferred at Roosevelt avenue, they were ready for the first pitch. OK, so I miss an inning or so.

At the foot of the train steps I wait as the Mets are due up in their half of the first. Ten minutes later, a phone call, it's my buddy.

"Man, this bus is really bad."
"Oh, you are stuck in traffic somewhere? How close are you?"
"No, I'm still waiting."
"Waiting? Where?"
"In Astoria, on 21st and Astoria Blvd."

My "buddy" managed to go further out, closer to Manahattan, just to wait for a bus that was probably going to crawl after the rain and whatever traffic there was, instead of simply hopping on the N and maybe catching one of the last 7 express trains at Queensboro Plaza.

Despite the encouragement from him to just go in and not wait, I waited. That's what buddies do. Thank goodness for the Mets team store adjacent to the Jackie Robinson Rotunda. Perfect view of SNY broadcast while you wait outside the stadium.

Of course the game flew as I waited. Three solo homeruns and nothing else and before you knew it we finally passed through the turnstiles during the top of the sixth. Even at 9:15 there is still a steady flow of people coming down the steps with every arrival of a 7 train. I wonder just how late people arrive. Anyway, we got a nice field level view of David Wright's solo blast to tie the game.

I thought it would be fitting if we get nine innings in anyway via a 15 inning affair, seeing the way the game was going. But Sean Green threw a wild pitch after inducing a bases loaded double play with no one out in the eight. Oh well. Was it worth it? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment